Simple Meals with Four Ingredients or Less
Tired of blowing your budget – and your healthy eating plan – by relying on fast foods and convenience foods because you don’t have the time, or the ingredients on hand, to prepare a healthy meal?
Looking for some healthy meal ideas that are super quick and easy – and great to grab on-the-go?
Use the following simple meal ideas so that you can stick to your budget and your healthy eating goals.
Salads. Top leafy greens with any of your favourite salad toppers that you have on hand – raw vegetables, leftover cooked vegetables, fresh berries, mandarin oranges, dried fruit, nuts and seeds. Stick to only 1 – 3 to keep it quick and simple. Add cheese, sliced boiled egg, leftover cooked meat or leftover chicken for protein.
Sandwiches. Sandwiches are not just for brownbag lunches – a sandwich can make for a great meal or snack any time of day. Add different vegetables, fruit slices and spreads to add flavour and nutrients, as well as crunch or creaminess. The following are just a few sandwich ideas:
- Grilled cheese sandwich. Add a slice of ham or leftover shredded chicken for extra protein.
- Avocado cream cheese sandwich. Spread cream cheese on one bread slice and place sliced avocado on the other – put them together for a delicious creamy sandwich.
- Tuna or salmon salad sandwich. Mix in mayonnaise and finely diced onion or celery for added flavor – or mash in some avocado for added creaminess. Enjoy it in a sandwich or as a salad topper.
- Peanut butter and banana sandwich. If you’re bringing this one along for later, slice and add the banana when you’re ready to eat.
- Taco wrap. Wrap leftover chicken, beef or pork, shredded cheese and salsa in a tortilla wrap.
- Chicken and hummus wrap. Wrap leftover chicken and hummus in a tortilla wrap.
Quiche and frittata make for quick and convenient meals. Keep it simple with eggs, your favourite cheese and one or two vegetables – whatever you have on hand. Make convenient individual servings by using a muffin tin.
Add leftover homemade pasta sauce, or store-bought sauce, to store-bought fresh pasta such as tortellini or ravioli.
Mini pizzas. Spread pizza sauce and your favourite cheese on crackers, English muffins or pita bread; or roll the toppings in a tortilla wrap and cut into pinwheels.