There’s never been a better time to feel like a kid again.
For as long as there have been mortgages, taxes, jobs and speeding tickets, there have been adults who wish they could turn back the clock to simpler times. Including ME!
Adult colouring is my new favorite hobby.
This craze was started in 2013 by the “Secret Garden: An Inky Treasure Hunt and Colouring Book”, and has sold over 2 million copies worldwide. There are many more like it burning up the bestseller lists.
Adult colouring is a new phenomenon that has taken publishing by storm, and they are having trouble keeping up with the demand.
It doesn’t look like this colouring book train is slowing down any time soon, so here are 3 reasons you need to get on board. Here are 3 reasons why all the adults you know have started colouring again.
- A good colouring session can relieve stress and anxiety. When someone is colouring, their mind and body are operating in a more integrated way, like a meditative process. Carl Jung was a big fan of art therapy, and he used colouring as a relaxation technique back in the early 1900s. Mandalas or spiritual geometric shapes are the foundation of a lot of the most popular stress- relieving colouring books today.
- No paper? No problem. Now, you can colour on the go. You know the rule: It’s not an official craze unless it is integrated into social media. You can now colour on your smart phone or tablet with just a few swipes of your finger, and you can easily tweet or Instagram your creations, too. Colourfy, the most popular colouring app on the market, has been a huge hit with the mobile crowd. Colourfy is a really great app that lets you pass the time in a calming, yet creative way. But, maybe the best thing about a colouring app is that it’s easy to erase your design, start over, and create something completely different.
- Colouring creations make perfect gifts. I enjoy colouring cards and envelopes and mailing them to the special people in my life. It makes me feel good and the receiver feel special. Colouring books intended for adults are not the average book you would buy for your child. They feature a higher quality of paper, intricate designs and a wider selection of themes. Whether you’re a big fan of Doctor Who, Harry Potter, cities, swear words, flowers, animals, celebration cards or mandalas, we guarantee there is a colouring book for you.
Here are top 7 benefits of colouring for adults.
- Your brain experiences relief by entering a meditative state
- Stress and anxiety levels have the potential to be lowered
- Negative thoughts are expelled as you take in positivity
- Focussing on the present helps you achieve mindfulness
- Unplugging from technology promotes creation over consumption
- Colouring can be done by anyone, not just artists or creative types
- It’s a hobby than can be taken with you wherever you go
Whether you are colouring to relax or just have some fun, there is a colouring book out there for you. Colouring has become my favorite hobby…. again.
Sorry, comments are closed for this post.